With Pinterest today I rarely ever go to my cookbooks or all the old recipes I have on note cards anymore. For some reason I started looking through my old printed off recipes and note cards the other day and found this hidden gem. Now this isn’t fancy, but it easy, it tastes good, and it’s kid friendly. These kind of casseroles I like to make when my husband is away, because he isn’t the biggest fan of casseroles, but my kids love them. Although, he might have enjoyed this casserole as much as the kids did.
This is another one of those dishes that you can put together pretty quickly. You can also make it up in the morning before work, put it in the fridge and bring it out to cook when you get home. It only takes 30 minutes to heat up and it’s done.
Depending on how picky your family is you can add ingredients or take a few of them out and you’re still going to have the same good flavor. Today I put in onions and mushrooms, but have added spinach other times. It really depends on your preference and the pickiness of those eating your food. This is another meal that pairs excellent with garlic toast. I really should blog my recipe for garlic toast soon, since I talk about it so much.
So if your looking for a quick, good, kid friendly meal, try it out and tell me what you thought.
- 1.5 lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of macaroni noodles
- In a sauce pan add the olive oil, diced onion, minced garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes and then add the ground beef. Cook until brown.
- Add the mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the tomato sauce, oregano. basil, garlic salt, and thyme. Stir until combined
- Cook the macaroni according to the package, add the noodles to the tomato mixture.
- Add 1 cup of mozzerella cheese.. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a 13×9 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and broil for 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!